Tuesday, January 21, 2014

How To Make a Photo Prop Frayed Fabric Garland




Lexi's pictures turned out so cute this week! I have been planning this photo session since before she was even  born! It came to me in the middle of the night when I was having a hard time sleeping. I planned her whole nursery decor and the pictures of her I'd take to put in it. I gotta admit....some of my best ideas come in the middle of the night when I can't shut my brain off. Blessing or a curse? I still can't decide! Anyhoo, this makes an adorable photo prop and that's what I labeled the tutorial as but I think it also makes an adorable decoration on a wall. I am using mine for both! A photo prop first and now a decoration:)

I wanted to take these pictures back when we took her home from the hospital but the drawers weren't done and neither was the garland. She's four months old and I still managed to get sleeping newborn like poses! I was so grateful! 

It's simple to make one. All you need is about a 1/4 a yard of a few different fabrics depending on how long of a garland you want. I think I used about ten different fabrics. You also need a long string and a rotary cutter and mat. You could cut them by hand if you needed too but it would be hard to get straight strips. You could also rip them in strips if you wanted a really shaggy look. I however, like my good ol' trusty rotary blade.


Take each fabric and cut off the white ends. Then flip it around and slice along the fold. 


You will then have two seperate strips like this. I actually leave them together but I seperated them for the picture so you could see better:)


Then cut that fabric all into about 2 inch strips. 

Follow all previous steps with your remaining fabrics. You will have a nice large pile of fabric strips. 


I found it easier to tie the string onto a chair. Then you will tie on your strips one by one. It's not hard but very time consuming. I watched a movie with my husband while I did this. 


I found the middle of the strip and then kind of folded it in half with my fingers. Make sure the folded side is down.  (Sorry about the red heart blanket that is in the next few pictures! I was cold so i had a blanket over my legs while i worked on this.)

Then with your other hand, take the two loose ends and bring them over the string and down into the hole. It will kind of  look like a tie. Pull ends till it's tightened and then slide it closer to the previous strip. 


After you get all your strips on, you can kind of slide them over to space them out how you'd like.  


Once you've spaced them out so it all looks even you are done! It's adorable for whatever you decide to use it for! Have fun with it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment