Friday, December 20, 2013

Favorite White Chili


I got this recipe from my sister. I am sooooo glad she gave it to me because I can't even begin to explain how yummy it is! My family loves it and it's often my choice to serve when we have company come. It never fails me! Except maybe my hips......it's not the most healthy.......but it's still worth it! I can always work out later right?

 It has navy beans and chicken in a creamy mixture made up of chicken broth and half and half with spices. It does not dissapoint! I know there are a lot of white chili recipes out there but out of all of them that I have tried this one is by far my favorite. This feeds my family of four for two dinners. It warms up great the next night. You could always half the recipe if you don't want it for two nights. 


And finally here is the recipe! Hope you enjoy it as much as we do! 

Favorite White Chili

2 cans small white navy beans (rinsed and drained)
1 small can chopped green chilies
1/4 cup margarine
1 small onion, diced
1/3 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups half and half
2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 T hot pepper sauce (optional- I don't use it)

1 1/2 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream

Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until tender, about 15 minutes. Add flour and stir for a couple minutes (do not brown). Gradually whisk in chicken broth and half and half. Simmer gently until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add reserved white beans, chilies, shredded chicken and spices. Simmer gently to blend flavors for about 20 minutes. Add grated cheese and sour cream. Heat until heated through and cheese melts. 


No comments:

Post a Comment